NYPD: 'Bad Barbies' gang terrorized streets
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said the gang would turn the streets into a "shooting gallery"
NEW YORK — New York City authorities say they have taken down a violent street gang whose female factions went by names including "Bad Barbies."
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Wednesday that at its height, the Trinitarios gang had up to 100 female members. He said one was a 24-year-old involved in the fatal retaliatory shooting and in the shooting of a robbery victim outside a Mexican restaurant.
An investigation of the gang has resulted in arrests of 119 people in the Bronx and Manhattan since 2009.
Kelly and U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara announced the latest arrests on Wednesday at a news conference.
Bharara said the gang would turn the streets in a "shooting gallery" if anyone infringed on its drug dealing or gun running.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman