Fla. gang database changes will overhaul LE practices
Pinellas County LE leaders agreed months ago that laws were too vague; new provisions will allow appeal to have name removed from affiliation, other changes
By Will Hobson
Tampa Bay Times
PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. — Months after agreeing Florida's gang laws are too vague, Pinellas County law enforcement leaders are moving ahead with changes they hope will prevent people from being wrongly labeled gang members merely for being seen with relatives or friends who are.
The changes, approved May 23 by the Pinellas Police Standards Council, still need approval from some city governments and legal staffs for some agencies. But Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri says his agency and others have already started implementing the policies. Among them:
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy