District struggles to come to terms with officer's suicide
By Trymaine Lee, Staff writer
Copyright 2005 The Times-Picayune Publishing Company
It's not the way a cop is supposed to die. Not by his own gun. Not when those who look up to him need him most. But with a pistol pressed to his head, 7th District officer Lawrence Celestine squeezed the trigger, as another officer, a relative, stood by helplessly.
Celestine had soldiered through Hurricane Katrina's immediate aftermath, but never made it to see the weekend.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman