Podcast Quick Clip: How can officers manage a suicide by cop?
Jim and Doug discuss issues related to suicide by cop, from recognizing the warning signs to dealing with the psychological aftermath
The subject shouts, “Come on, pigs, kill me! I don’t give a damn! Come on! What are you waiting for? Shoot!” and begins raising the gun at his side and pointing toward the officers who had responded to a man-with-a-gun call. The cops are forced to fire. The subject is declared dead at the scene. In a suicide note found in a pocket, the man apologies to his daughter and tells her where the key to the safety-deposit box is.
Jim and Doug discuss issues related to suicide by cop, from recognizing the warning signs to dealing with the psychological aftermath. For more on the former, check out this article, and for more on the latter, check out this one.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms