Ohio officer collapsed, died while chasing suspect
Death was related to heart troubles
Duty Death: Thomas Patton - [Cleveland Heights , Ohio]
CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio — The Cleveland Heights police officer who collapsed and died while chasing a suspect had cardiac problems, according to the Plain Dealer.
Patrolman Thomas Patton was chasing a suspect through woods and back yards when he collapsed.
In an interview with the Plain Dealer, Patton's uncle (also a retired police officer) said, ""This kid wanted to be a policeman since he was 5 years old. That's all he talked about. He used to walk around with our old hats and old police shirts dragging down to the floor."
The Patton family produced three generations of police officers, starting with Thomas Patton's grandfather, John T. Patton, who joined the Cleveland Police Department in 1946. John Patton died in November at age 89.
The suspect Patton was chasing was later taken into custody.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman