Ind. cop shot in ambush released from hospital
By PoliceOne Staff
INDIANAPOLIS — A police officer who was struck by gunfire in the head and the wrist during an ambush attack was released from the hospital Thursday, just under one week since the assault.
Officer Matt Fox, of the Fortville (Ind.) Police Department, was attempting to effect a traffic stop on James Lockhart for a missing taillight last Friday night.
Lockhart stopped but soon thereafter fled, with Officer Fox in pursuit.
Dash-cam video of the ambush assault on Officer Fox shows Lockhart getting out of his car, pointing his weapon at the officer, and then moving out of view.
Shots are fired and the suspect can again be seen in the video, at this time getting back into his car and fleeing the scene.
Lockhart was later shot and killed by responding officers.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police