Ga. agency’s only officer dies of heart attack
Chief Anthony Barfield, 47, began having difficulty breathing on duty and died soon after
Duty Death: Anthony Barfield - [Barwick, Georgia]
End of Service: 04/09/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
BARWICK, Ga. — The chief of police — and only law enforcement officer with the Barwick agency — died Thursday from a heart attack while at the scene of a domestic disturbance.
Chief Anthony Barfield, 47, began having difficulty breathing at the scene and was transported to a hospital, where he later died, according to ODMP.
"He was dedicated to the city of Barwick and his family and he will be sorely missed," Barwick City Councilman Dale Hicks told WALB.
In a small town of less than 400, Hicks said everyone knew Chief Barfield, who they referred to as Tony.
“Everybody knows everybody and Tony was about as much family to us as one of our own," said Hicks.
Barfield was appointed Chief in 2009 and served as an officer for 20 years.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert