Miss. cop dies after heart attack, father also LODD
Corporal Van Perry collapsed after arresting a suspected shoplifter and had a heart attack, died a week later
Duty Death: Van Perry - [Carthage, Mississippi]
End of Service: 09/05/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
CARTHAGE, Miss. — A Mississippi officer died Thursday, a week after collapsing from a heart attack while interviewing a shoplifting suspect.
Corporal Van Perry collapsed suddenly shortly after arresting someone for shoplifting, prompting the suspect to call for help, according to ODMP.
Perry was flown to the University of Mississippi Medical Center, where he passed away eight days later.
The 15-year veteran was a father of three, whose own father had also died in the line of duty in 2001 when he was struck by a vehicle at a roadside checkpoint.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police