Off-duty NJ cop kills self at police HQ
Officer Matthew Wallace, 39, was found in the parking lot with a bullet wound to the head
By PoliceOne Staff
EWING, N.J. — A Ewing police officer committed suicide Wednesday morning in the parking lot behind police headquarters.
Officer Matthew Wallace, 39, a 14-year veteran, shot himself in the head and was discovered by another officer, according to NJ.com.
"It's a tragedy and it's a tremendous loss not only for the department but also for the community,” said Mayor Bert Steinmann. “This is the saddest day I’ve had as mayor."
Wallace, a husband and father, had received numerous awards and commendations including several Chief Commendations Awards and an Exceptional Duty Medal, according to the report.
Wallace was off-duty when he died.
“Matt was a good cop and a very likeable guy. He will be missed by our entire police department,” Officer in Charge Lt. Ronald P. Lunetta said in a release. “This event can only be summed up by one word: tragic. Our thoughts and prayers will be with Matt and his family.”
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house