Calif. cop perfect match for dispatcher in need of kidney
The San Diego officer and dispatcher have become as close as family after the successful transplant
By Liberty Zabala and Andie Adams
NBC 7 San Diego
SAN DIEGO — Jeff Monis and Ivan Sablan turned out to be the perfect match. Monis is a San Diego Police dispatcher, Sablan is a San Diego Police officer, and both have an O-Positive blood type.
“We worked together, but we didn’t even know each other, and he expressed that he wanted to offer me his kidney,” said Monis.
As of Saturday, Monis had been living about seven weeks with Sablan’s kidney — which explains why the two have become as close as family.
Full Story: Cop Donates Life-Saving Kidney to Dispatcher
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer