Making time to work out
Several years ago, PoliceOne had an article by Sgt. Betsy Brantner Smith on staying in shape. Her article included some very simple and to-the-point information. She was so on target with that information then, and it still merits our attention today.
Here is my workout when I was a road officer. Every one of us has a place that we can get out of the public’s eye for a few minutes a day (behind a shopping mall or warehouse someplace). Get out of your cruiser at least every hour. Take a few minutes to stretch out your back, legs, and arms. Reach for the trunk assume the position and do about 10-25 push ups depending on your ability and progress from there. Do a few trunk twisters and resume patrol.
Now you do that every hour starting with the second hour and finish on the seventh hour, you would have done a minimum of 60 push ups on your tour.
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests