Video: Ohio officer offers touching eulogy to longtime K-9 partner
Officer Antonio Colon said goodbye to Jet, one of the longest serving members of the Cleveland Police K-9 Unit, at a Monday memorial service
By Cory Shaffer
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Patrol Officer Antonio Colon and the entire Cleveland Division of Police said formal goodbyes to Jet, one of the longest serving members of the Cleveland Police K-9 Unit, at a Monday memorial service at the police union hall.
Jet was 13 1/2 years old when he was euthanized Feb. 24. His health had been deteriorating, but the K-9 narcotics officer was still healthy enough for active duty until Feb. 21, Sgt. Doug Campion said.
But Jet, who Colon said was never one to back down, wasn't going out without a fight. Campion said as he and Colon were walking Jet into the veterinarian's office to be put to sleep, Jet lifted his leg and left his final mark — right on Campion's foot.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy