Police say 530 pounds of heroin seized in Moscow region
The Associated Press
MOSCOW- Police have arrested seven people and seized more than 240 kilograms (530 pounds) of heroin in a drug sweep in the Moscow region, federal authorities said Wednesday.
It was unclear exactly when they were arrested, however, or when the drug seizures were made.
Russia news reports quoted a drug agency official as saying 62 kilograms (140 pounds) of high-grade heroin were seized from a single site outside Moscow last week.
Government officials last year warned that Russia was being swept by a rising tide of heroin and other drugs smuggled from Afghanistan, triggering a steady increase in the number of addicts and drug-related crimes.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms