British police scolded for using riot shields as sleds
A video of the officers sledding down a hill became popular on YouTube
LONDON — Some British bobbies have been reprimanded after they used their riot shields as makeshift sleds during the country's cold snap.
A passer-by filmed the bobbies goofing around on a snowy hill in Oxford and posted the clip on YouTube. It shows a policeman barreling downhill while another shouts, "Whatever happens, keep smiling!"
Rick Latham, who filmed the scene on Tuesday, said he was pleasantly surprised by the officers' actions. He thought they were going to scold him for trying to slide down the hill in a kayak.
Thames Valley Police Superintendent Andrew Murray said Thursday he had told the officers "that tobogganing on duty, on police equipment and at taxpayers' expense is a very bad idea."
But he added that snow brings "out the child in all of us."
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house