Video: Mexico police arrested over torture video
A video surfaced showing a detainee's head submerged in water
By PoliceOne Staff
MEXICO CITY — Five Mexican police officers were arrested Monday after a video surfaced showing officers plunge a detainee's head into a water bucket.
Five Mexico City officers were taken into custody over alleged torture, according to Reuters. The video — believed to have been posted shortly after the incident, which took place in Tepito, a rough neighborhood in Mexico City — shows several police officers surrounding a man in custody, submerging his head in water.
Human rights groups have previously targeted the Mexican police and army, accusing them of abuses including killings and torture. Last month activists asked the International Criminal Court to look into authorities' actions after the allegations, sources said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help