4 Puerto Rico cops suspended amid probe
The officers are suspected of planting a gun in a man's car and charging him with possession of an illegal weapon
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Puerto Rico's police chief has suspended four officers suspected of planting a gun in a man's car and charging him with possession of an illegal weapon.
Hector Pesquera says his department is investigating the case after he analyzed video from a private security camera posted on YouTube.
Police spokeswoman Michelle Franco said Wednesday that two of the officers were suspended without pay.
The officers had arrested three men in the case on Jan. 25. The charges were dropped after a defense attorney submitted the video during a court hearing.
The investigation comes after the Puerto Rican government recently signed an agreement with the U.S. Justice Department to reform an agency long accused of corruption, illegal killings and civil rights violations.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman