Video: Arrested journalist reports live from police van
Officials didn't realize the reporter was live, so they allowed him to continue filming
By Becket Adams
LONDON — A broadcast from Beijing’s Tiananmen Square has turned into a bizarre television experience for British viewers after a Sky News reporter and his camera operator were detained by Chinese authorities on live television.
Sky News correspondent Mark Stone says he was broadcasting at Tiananmen Square when officials detained him. He kept the camera on the whole time, narrating his trip in a Chinese police van as startled anchor Anna Jones asked him what was happening.
It’s not clear why Stone was detained. Chinese regulations require prior approval to broadcast live from politically sensitive and heavily patrolled Tiananmen.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. sheriff told to disarm before entering arena for charity event
- More than 200 police chiefs criticize Trump’s 'law and order' executive actions
- Video: Nashville cop fatally shoots armed man, NAACP wants probe
- Video: NY trooper arrests suspect after being dragged by vehicle
- Booby trap impales officer investigating marijuana grow operation