$270M of cocaine found in luggage on plane
The suitcases came from Caracas aboard an Air France flight to Paris, didn't match any passengers on board
By Holly Yan
France — There was something odd about the 30 suitcases that showed up on a flight from Venezuela. The colorful bags weren't registered to any of the passengers on the plane.
When French officials opened them up, they discovered why — 1.3 tons of pure cocaine were stuffed inside the anonymous bags. The street value of the stash? About 200 million euros, or $270 million.
On Sunday, Venezuela's Public Ministry said that authorities had detained three members of the National Guard in connection with the incident. It wasn't immediately clear exactly what they are accused of doing.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform