Toronto cop dies after collision with motorist, tree
Const. John Zivcic, 34, remained in critical condition over the weekend and succumbed to his injuries Monday
Duty Death: John Zivcic - [Toronto]
End of Service: 12/02/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
TORONTO — A Toronto constable described as young and “up-and-coming” succumbed to his injuries Monday after he was severely injured in a collision Saturday.
Const. John Zivcic, 34, died at St. Michael’s Hospital on Monday surrounded by family and his police colleagues, according to The Star.
Zivcic was ejected from his cruiser Saturday when he collided with another motorist and then with a tree while responding to an incident, according to CTV News.
“With great sadness I want to announce that police Const. John Zivcic has passed today,” Deputy Chief Peter Sloly said, standing in uniform just outside the doors of St. Michael’s emergency bay. “He was surrounded by his family ... He was surround by his police family.”
Zivcic served as a divisional traffic officer with Toronto police for the past seven years and was known as a dedicated officer.
“He was a hardworking constable in 22 Division, and on behalf of the city of Toronto, our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family through this challenging time,” Mayor Rob Ford told reporters.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter