Md. officer shoots driver who tried to run him down
SEVERN, Md.- Anne Arundel County police say an officer shot a man who allegedly tried to run him over during a traffic stop Sunday.
It's the fourth time this year that a county officer has shot a suspect.
It happened around 11:50 p.m. Sunday near the intersection of Pine Cove Avenue and Town Center Boulevard in Severn. The officer stopped 41-year-old Calvin Johnson of Bowie on suspicion of driving under the influence. When the officer asked for Johnson's license and registration, police say Johnson drove off, turned the vehicle around and headed toward the officer.
Police say two passengers jumped out of the moving car and the officer fired at the vehicle, but Johnson kept going.
Johnson was pulled over in the 76-hundred block of O'Daniel Court in Severn by another officer, who found Johnson had been shot twice in the abdomen.
Johnson was taken to Shock Trauma. The incident is under investigation.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house