Online games are new choice for money laundering
Massively multiplayer online role-playing games like 'Second Life' offer a nearly foolproof way to mask and move money
By Doug Tsuruoka
Investor's Business Daily
Colombian drug lords and other bad guys have found a new way to launder money: via online "virtual world" games that have thousands of players worldwide.
"Drug cartels are having great success laundering money and buying property in scores of different nations by using Internet games," said Misha Glenny, who tracks organized crime and wrote the 2008 book, "McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Online games are new choice for money laundering
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house