Special prosecutor to probe NY crime lab
Lab was placed on probation by a national accrediting agency in December
MINEOLA, N.Y. — A New York district attorney is seeking a special prosecutor to investigate possible wrongdoing at a now-closed crime lab. Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice says she will ask court approval to appoint Eric Dinallo to lead an investigation. Dinallo is the former state insurance superintendent.
The lab was closed last week. Authorities said they'd learned that police supervisors may have been aware since September that errors were occurring with the analysis of drug evidence.
The findings could lead to exoneration or a reduction in charges for some people convicted of drug offenses.
The lab was placed on probation by a national accrediting agency in December.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house