FBI eyes anti-government 'Sovereign Citizens'
Federal authorities are tracking a possible connection between foreclosed home seizures and the so-called 'sovereign citizen' sect
By Tammy Joyner
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
ATLANTA — Federal authorities are seeing an increase in the number of foreclosed and unoccupied homes in metro Atlanta being seized by members of an anti-government group.
"I'm not sure I can connect it with the economy, but we've seen a surge of these in the last year, in particular," Stephen Emmett, special agent in the Atlanta field office of the FBI, said recently. Emmett said federal and local authorities increasingly are running into confrontations with members of a sect known as "sovereign citizens."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: FBI eyes anti-government 'Sovereign Citizens'
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman