Feds stepping up excessive force cases
'Pattern and practice' investigations are on a steep upswing, according to a review of Justice Department statistics
By Mike Carter
SEATTLE — If the Seattle Police Department feels singled out by the U.S. Department of Justice and its findings of an unconstitutional pattern of excessive force by officers, it shouldn't.
It was one of three law-enforcement agencies in the span of a few days last month that were accused by the federal agency of violating the rights of the people they're supposed to protect and serve.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Feds stepping up excessive force cases
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman