Drive-by shooting in Chicago wounds 11, 1 critically
CHICAGO- Shots were fired from a van and a sedan Thursday as they sped down a residential street on the city's South Side, wounding 11 people, police said.
Several of the wounded were believed to be members of the Gangster Disciples street gang, said police Superintendent Philip Cline.
The shots were fired before dawn, and the street was deserted when officers arrived, said Officer Marcel Bright, a police spokesman. Most of the victims - 10 men and one woman - managed to drive to a hospital about four blocks away, he said.
A 22-year-old man, whose name was not released, was in critical condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital with a gunshot wound in the back, authorities said. Another victim at the same hospital had been shot in the stomach, and a third had an arm wound.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman