logo for print

Suspect is Arrested in Shooting of Rookie Officer

Two days after a rookie police officer was shot twice in the arm as she returned to the Brooklyn precinct station house where she worked, the police announced yesterday that they had caught a suspect in the shooting.

The suspect, Damion Henry, 21, was arrested Saturday within feet of where Officer Crystal Jeffrey was wounded on Friday as she walked with other officers back to the 70th Precinct station house after their 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. shift, the police said.

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said yesterday that the motive for the shooting was still under investigation and that the police were still trying to catch a second suspect, whom he identified as Terrance Harris, 21, also known by the nickname Suki.

The shooting at 1:36 a.m. on Friday, in which as many as six shots were fired at Officer Jeffrey and four other new officers from behind as they passed 142 St. Paul's Place in Flatbush, drew dozens of police officers to the neighborhood, which was effectively sealed off for nearly 12 hours.

Mr. Kelly said yesterday that the shots might have been fired from a nearby rooftop. A senior police official had said that the department was investigating an incident earlier Friday evening in which another officer who fit Officer Jeffrey's general description intervened in a dispute nearby involving two men who were arguing with a third over money. The shooting, investigators say, could have been retaliation.

Officer Jeffrey, 23, who was treated at Kings County Hospital Center for bullet wounds to her right arm and left hand, was released on Saturday and was in "good spirits" yesterday, Mr. Kelly said.

Mr. Henry, whom investigators believe to be a member of the St. Paul's Posse street gang, was charged with attempted murder, assault and gun possession, the police said.

Mr. Henry had turned himself in Saturday morning at the 70th Precinct station on an outstanding warrant for a quality of life offense, paid a fine in court and was released. Later, the police received a phone tip identifying him as the gunman in Friday's shooting, and Mr. Henry was arrested about 8 p.m., the police said.

Mr. Kelly said that two handguns had been recovered as part of investigation — a loaded .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol and a .38-caliber revolver — and that ballistics tests had matched the revolver to evidence recovered from the scene of the shooting.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion


Sponsored by

Copyright © 2017 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.