NY firefighters may get arrest powers in arson cases
Fire chief says police are so busy that investigations are happening slowly
By Kathleen Moore
The Daily Gazette
ALBANY, N.Y. — In an effort to solve arsons more quickly, the District Attorney's Office may give two city firefighters the authority to interrogate suspects and make arrests.
Fire Chief Michael Della Rocco formally asked the district attorney for the privilege, and the district attorney in turn recommended it the county Legislature.
The Legislature may approve the request this week.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms