NY firefighters may get arrest powers in arson cases
Fire chief says police are so busy that investigations are happening slowly
By Kathleen Moore
The Daily Gazette
ALBANY, N.Y. — In an effort to solve arsons more quickly, the District Attorney's Office may give two city firefighters the authority to interrogate suspects and make arrests.
Fire Chief Michael Della Rocco formally asked the district attorney for the privilege, and the district attorney in turn recommended it the county Legislature.
The Legislature may approve the request this week.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman