Apparent Drug Lab Prompts Federal, Police Response
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Police and federal authorities ordered evacuations and responded in force to a report of hazardous materials Tuesday night but later determined that the materials appeared to be part of a drug lab.
Police watching a suspected chop shop in the Tacony section of the city along the Delaware River shortly after 8:30 p.m. found barrels containing chemicals they feared might be explosive.
"On the face of it, it appears the chemicals are prescursors to the manufacture of methampehtamine and/or ecstasy," said Inspector Joe O'Connor of the police counterterrorism bureau.
Two men from New York were arrested.
Police had started an evacuation of the block where the building was located but soon canceled it after determining there was no danger of explosion. The FBI and other federal authorities were also notified.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman