NYPD detective in melee with cops who pulled him over for DUI
Sources close to the driver said he was badly beaten
By Jessica Simeone and Josh Saul
The New York Post
NEW YORK — An NYPD detective who survived a near-deadly Florida shooting last year was arrested in Manhattan yesterday for allegedly beating up cops who pulled him over for suspected DWI.
Detective Harold Thomas, a 28-year veteran and member of the Joint Terrorist Task Force, had the DWI rap against him dropped last night but is still charged with assault and resisting arrest in the Washington Heights incident, which occurred just before 1 a.m.
Thomas' lawyer, James Moschella, called the cop "a hero police officer," adding, "I'm confident the DA will see [he] should never have been charged."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy