Chief's assistant copied scandal video fearing cover-up
After the deputy chief in question decontaminated the girl for a fourth time, he asked the assitant for a copy of the video so he could secure it
By Lou Grieco and Mark Gokavi
Dayton Daily News
MIAMI TWP, Ohio — An administrative assistant to the Miami Twp. police chief was so concerned about a possible cover up of the deputy chief's decontamination of a naked 17-year-old girl who'd been pepper-sprayed that she made a second copy of a video of the incident, the assistant told investigators.
Police Chief Chris Krug, in his report on the decontamination of the teen, described Deputy Chief Major John DiPietro as "very nonchalant'' on July 12, the day of the incident. Krug launched an investigation after a township official asked him to look further into it a week after it happened.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help