NYC Police Seize 97,000 Packs of Illegal Cigarettes
The three people "tried to make money selling cases of cigarettes marked with counterfeit tax stamps," police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. The 194 cases of cigarettes had a street value of $727,500, police said.
The three were charged with trademark counterfeiting, forgery and possession of illegal cigarettes and counterfeit tax stamps.
City and state taxes have lifted the price of a pack of cigarettes to around $7 in New York, among the highest in the nation.
Police also seized $2,214 in cash in the bust, which occurred Friday.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house