Police: NY couple’s abduction video a hoax
The couple seen smuggled into a van were actually part of an elaborate birthday prank
By Pamela Brown and Josh Levins
NEW YORK — An apparent abduction involving a couple in New York City was a hoax, part of a surprise birthday party, New York police said Monday.
The "abduction" on Friday was captured on surveillance video, and led to police searching for the couple. The people involved came forward, police said. Since a police report was never filed, there will be no charges, police spokeswoman Sophia Tassy said.
In the surveillance video, a man in a mask races around a corner near a park. He is followed by a person who appears to be a man with a plastic bag over his head.
Full Story: New York couple abduction video was a hoax, police say
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court