Ohio K-9 wounded during burglary alarm investigation
Canton police say a K9 named Jethro was hit three times in the face
CANTON, Ohio — Authorities say a police dog was shot during a burglary investigation in northeastern Ohio and police returned fire, hitting the suspect.
Canton police say a K9 named Jethro was hit three times in the face, shoulder and neck area but is expected to live.
The shooting happened early Saturday as police investigated an alarm at a grocery store.
Police say officers confronted a burglary suspect who opened fire before being shot himself.
The suspect ran off but was found nearby with a gunshot wound in the leg. Police say the suspect was being treated at a local hospital. No charges had been filed.
Lt. Roger Crihfield tells Fox 8-TV in Cleveland it's unknown if Jethro will be able to work again.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help