Off-duty DC cop shot, killed by stepson
Antwan James, 27, is at large after killing his stepfather Joseph Newell over a domestic dispute
UPPER MARLBORO, Md. — Police say the stepson of a D.C. police officer shot and killed the officer during a dispute over yard work at their Maryland home.
Prince George's County police said Tuesday that they are searching for 27-year-old Antwan James. He's been charged in a warrant with murder in the fatal shooting of his stepfather, 46-year-old Joseph Newell.
Police were called to Newell's Upper Marlboro home Monday night and found him shot to death. The officer was off duty at the time of the shooting. Police say Newell and James had been arguing over yard work before the shooting.
Newell had been with the Metropolitan Police Department since 1989.
Police are searching for James with K-9 units and other specialized officers. He is considered armed and dangerous.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman