Probe to re-open after new video of fatal Utah OIS surfaces
The officer had a body camera but the video cut out after he was hit with a snow shovel
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County District Attorney says he will re-open the investigation into a fatal police shooting after new video surfaced that appears to show the man on the ground when he was shot.
District Attorney Sim Gill said he's taking seriously the new evidence made public Friday in the death of 42-year-old James Dudley Barker, who was killed Jan. 8, 2015, after hitting an officer with a snow shovel.
Gill says he's also looking into why his office didn't see the video during the original police investigation of the shooting.
He ruled in February 2015 that Salt Lake City Police Officer Matthew Taylor was justified when he fired the shots because Barker was reaching for the officer's gun.
Taylor had a body camera, but the video cut out after he was hit with the shovel.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy