Ky. officer found dead on highway exit ramp
Police received a call saying an officer was involved in an accident, but arrived to find that he'd been shot
Duty Death: Jason Ellis - [Bardstown, Kentucky]
End of Service: 05/25/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
BARDSTOWN, Ky. — An officer was found shot and killed on an exit ramp off a highway early Saturday morning.
Police responded to a call about a fatal accident in which an officer had been killed – but arrived on scene to find that the officer, identified as Jason Ellis, 33, had been shot, and determined that there was no crash.
Ellis made no radio contact in the minutes before his death, according to WAVE. He was heading home after working second shift, in uniform and in his marked patrol car.
Ellis was the first Bardstown Police officer killed in the line of duty and the department's only K-9 officer, according to the article.
No suspects are in custody.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy