3 arrested in fatal hit-and run of NOPD cop
The driver of the vehicle that killed Officer Rodney Thomas turned himself in early Sunday
By Helen Freund
NEW ORLEANS — Three men have been arrested in the fatal hit-and-run of an off-duty police officer early Sunday morning, police said.
According to court documents, 25-year-old Justin McKey turned himself in to authorities on Monday about 3:30 p.m. and admitted to driving the 2013 Porsche Panamera that hit and killed officer Rodney Thomas. He was booked on charges of manslaughter and hit and run causing a death or serious injury, and is being held on a $50,000 bond, records show.
Tuesday morning police announced the arrests of two other men who allegedly helped McKey cover up the crime. Kenneth Halley, 28, and Bill Cager, 34, were arrested early Tuesday and booked on charges of obstruction of justice and accessory after the fact to manslaughter.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend