Police: Marijuana grower killed by own booby trap
Daniel R. Ricketts nearly decapitated himself when he drove through the trap on his ATV
By Steve Barnes
BERNE, N.Y. — A 50-year-old town man died Saturday after he apparently became the victim of booby traps he had set to protect marijuana plants on his property, Albany County Sheriff Craig D. Apple said.
Sheriff's officials on Sunday identified the victim as Daniel R. Ricketts, who owns property and a residence on Saw Mill Road, near Thacher Park, where the accident took place.
Ricketts was driving an ATV in the backyard of his property around 2:30 p.m. Saturday when was nearly decapitated after running into a fine, nearly invisible wire that was among the fortifications set up around four large marijuana plants, Apple said. The sheriff added the wire appeared to be the type used in pianos, but he said it's unclear what purpose it served as a security measure other than being dangerous to someone driving an all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle.
Other protections for the plants included barbed wire and a leg trap similar to something used to trap coyotes, Apple said. He said alcohol may have been a factor in the accident.
The investigation is continuing.
Copyright 2013 the Times Union
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend