Austrian gunman who killed 4 fatally shoots self
The charred body believed to be that of the gunman who killed three policemen and a paramedic shows he apparently killed himself with a shot to the head
GROSSPRIEL, Austria — Austrian officials say an examination of the charred body believed to be that of the gunman who killed three policemen and a paramedic shows he apparently killed himself with a shot to the head.
Police found the body early Wednesday behind a hidden door of a secret cellar in a farm building where the gunman barricaded himself. They said they believed the remains were that of 55-year-old suspect Alois Huber.
State Prosecutor Michaela Schnell says authorities "assume at this point that it was suicide."
The shooting rampage began early Tuesday, after police looking for poachers tried to question Huber and ended with the discovery more than 24 hours later of the body consumed by a fire that he apparently lit.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court