Md. cop shot in exchange of gunfire, suspect sought
Police were responding to reports of an armed man, the suspect ran into the woods after wounding an officer
By PoliceOne Staff
LAUREL, Md. — A police officer was shot Wednesday afternoon during an exchange of gunfire with a suspect who remains at large.
The officer, who has not been identified, was flown to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore and in serious condition, according to the Baltimore Sun.
Three officers were responding to reports of an armed man when the suspect immediately opened fire, striking one officer. The other two officers returned fire as the suspect ran into the woods. It is unclear if he was wounded.
The suspect is described as a black male, wearing a black jacket and gray pants, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend