Police: Pa. cop takes 2nd cop hostage, kills self
Off-duty cop stole ammunition and an unmarked squad and drove to the home of another off-duty officer and took him hostage
JIM THORPE, Pa. — Authorities say an off-duty eastern Pennsylvania deputy sheriff took another off-duty officer hostage at gunpoint, then fatally shot himself.
Police tell WFMZ-TV the 33-year-old Lansford police officer and deputy Carbon County sheriff went to the Lansford police station Friday night. Authorities say he stole ammunition and an unmarked police car and drove to the home of another off-duty officer and took him hostage.
The station reports that the suspect then drove east toward Jim Thorpe and the two men began struggling.
Police tell WFMZ the fight spilled out onto the street, and the suspect then shot himself in the head. He died at a hospital.
Police haven't released any information about the second officer's condition.
State police said Saturday that an investigation is underway. They haven't offered a motive.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Off Duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy