Ala. cop found dead of gunshot wound near home
The officer was found in the parking lot of his apartment complex after his shift
By Drew Taylor
Opelika-Auburn News, Ala.
PHENIX CITY, Ala. — A Phenix City police officer was found dead in a parking lot Sunday night.
At 10 p.m. EST, emergency personnel responded to Carriage Hill Apartments in the 1800 block of Lakewood Drive regarding a shooting, according to Russell County Deputy Coroner Gilbert Kendrick. Kendrick said the officer, whose name was not released Sunday night, was found shot to death in an unmarked car in the parking lot of the apartment complex.
Kendrick did not comment on how many wounds the officer sustained, but that it had been done with a handgun.
Kendrick said the officer's body was currently being stored at the coroner's office and would later be taken to Montgomery, where an autopsy would be performed to determine the cause of death.
Officers with the Phenix City Police Department, the Russell County Sheriff's Office and the Alabama Bureau of Investigation worked the case. No further information could be released at this time.
Copyright 2013 the Opelika-Auburn News
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help