Cops: NY pair was cooking meth, not chicken wings
The couple claimed chicken wings started their kitchen fire, but an investigation proved otherwise
AUBURN, N.Y. — Authorities say two people were making meth when their central New York apartment caught fire, and not cooking a batch of chicken wings as they told police.
Police tell the Auburn Citizen that firefighters responded to an early morning fire in May at an Auburn apartment where a 42-year-old woman and a 44-year-old man suffered severe burns from what they claimed was a grease fire.
Firefighters were suspicious and asked police to investigate. Police later found two 2-liter bottles in a wooded area near the complex with evidence of methamphetamine.
The bottles were sent to a state lab where they tested positive for illegal substances. The two suspects were charged this week with manufacturing meth after being indicted by a Cayuga County grand jury.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic