13, 14-year-old teens killed in NJ shooting, 3rd critical
A 13-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were fatally shot Christmas night, a third is in critical condition in the hospital
NEWARK, N.J. — Newark officials say two teenagers have been shot and killed and a third is in critical condition in the northern New Jersey city.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn A. Murray and Newark Police Director Samuel A. DeMaio say a 13-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were fatally shot Christmas night. Both were pronounced dead at a local hospital. They say a third young victim has been hospitalized in critical but stable condition.
The names of the victims have not been released.
The Star-Ledger newspaper reports that the shootings happened around 10 p.m. Wednesday in a neighborhood not far from Interstate 78 and Irvington, a neighboring city.
The shootings come after three men were fatally shot and two other men were wounded early Christmas morning at an Irvington strip club.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend