Police investigate death of popular Calif. priest
The body of Rev. Eric Freed was found in the St. Bernard Church rectory after he failed to show up for morning mass
EUREKA, Calif. — Authorities say a popular priest has been found dead in the rectory of a Northern California church, and detectives have launched a homicide investigation.
Eureka Mayor Frank Jager tells the Eureka Times-Standard that the body of Rev. Eric Freed was found Wednesday in the St. Bernard Church rectory after he failed to show up for morning mass.
Eureka Police Chief Andrew Mills says the department is conducting a murder investigation at the church, but he would not confirm the identity of the victim.
Mills says the killing occurred sometime after parishioners left evening services Tuesday.
Parishioner Winette Treder says that when Freed didn't show up Wednesday morning, a deacon went to look for him and found the body.
Freed also taught religious studies at Humboldt State University.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms