NC officer wounded in shootout dies
22-year-old Officer Alexander Thalmann was shot while stopping a suspect for questioning
Duty Death: Alexander Thalmann - [New Bern, North Carolina]
End of Service: 03/31/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW BERN, N.C. — An officer involved in a shootout Friday night has died.
According to WITN, 22-year-old Officer Alexander Thalmann was shot while stopping a suspect for questioning.
The Sun Journal reported a second officer, Justin Wester, was also hit. Officer Wester returned fire after being shot in the leg by 35-year-old Bryant Augustus Stallings, killing him. Wester was released from the hospital on Saturday.
Thalmann was with the New Bern Police Department for seven months. He was also a Marine Corps reservist, WITN reported.
"I had an opportunity to meet him on several occasions," said Mayor Dana Outlaw. "He was a fine young man. I have children that age, so it brings it all more home to me. Our sympathy and condolences to the family.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house