Iowa officer shot, suspect found dead
Suspect shot an officer following a traffic stop around 2:50 a.m. Tuesday
MAQUOKETA, Iowa — A man suspected of shooting a Maquoketa police officer in eastern Iowa has died.
Authorities said at a news conference that 30-year-old Aaron Edward Scott, of Wyoming, Iowa, was found dead Tuesday morning at the scene of a single-vehicle rollover crash in Clinton County. Details about his cause of death have not been released.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety says Scott shot an officer following a traffic stop around 2:50 a.m. Tuesday. Authorities say Scott then fled the scene.
The officer, whose name has not been released, was wounded and taken to Jackson County Regional Health Center in Maquoketa. He received treatment for a wound described as non-life-threatening.
An autopsy for Scott is scheduled Wednesday.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend