Md. police fatally shoot man reaching for weapon
The officers were responding to shots fired when they saw the man
By Luz Lazo
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY, Md. — Prince George’s County police shot and killed a man Saturday morning after the man appeared to be reaching for a weapon in Capitol Heights, authorities said.
Police said two officers patrolling the area heard shots fired at Marlboro Pike and Lee Jay Drive just before 4 a.m.
The male and female officers saw a man leaving on foot and grabbing his side, police spokeswoman Julie Parker said. When the officers approached the man, the male officer noticed the man reaching for a handgun in his waistband, she said. The male officer fired at the man multiple times.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court