Md. police fatally shoot man reaching for weapon
The officers were responding to shots fired when they saw the man
By Luz Lazo
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY, Md. — Prince George’s County police shot and killed a man Saturday morning after the man appeared to be reaching for a weapon in Capitol Heights, authorities said.
Police said two officers patrolling the area heard shots fired at Marlboro Pike and Lee Jay Drive just before 4 a.m.
The male and female officers saw a man leaving on foot and grabbing his side, police spokeswoman Julie Parker said. When the officers approached the man, the male officer noticed the man reaching for a handgun in his waistband, she said. The male officer fired at the man multiple times.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend