Off-duty cop fires at gunman who nearly ran him over
Florida officer was forced to fire his weapon at a car carrying suspects in a fatal shooting outside a nightclub
ORLANDO, Fla. — An Orlando police officer was forced to fire his weapon at a car carrying suspects in a fatal shooting outside a nightclub early Sunday morning, according to police.
Police said Officer Robert Schellhorn, who was off duty officer working security, entered the Whiskey River Lounge on North Orange Blossom Trail just before 2 a.m. when a witness reported a shooting in the parking lot.
The witness alerted the officer to a suspect vehicle that immediately accelerated toward the officer, forcing him to draw his weapon and fire, officers said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter