Off-duty cop fires at gunman who nearly ran him over
Florida officer was forced to fire his weapon at a car carrying suspects in a fatal shooting outside a nightclub
ORLANDO, Fla. — An Orlando police officer was forced to fire his weapon at a car carrying suspects in a fatal shooting outside a nightclub early Sunday morning, according to police.
Police said Officer Robert Schellhorn, who was off duty officer working security, entered the Whiskey River Lounge on North Orange Blossom Trail just before 2 a.m. when a witness reported a shooting in the parking lot.
The witness alerted the officer to a suspect vehicle that immediately accelerated toward the officer, forcing him to draw his weapon and fire, officers said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Lawmaker says anti-cop Capitol painting is coming down
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Federal prosecutors won't charge SC deputy in viral video incident
- Can Baltimore's police reform deal survive Trump's DOJ?
- Fla. airport shooting highlights nexus between mentally ill, cops