Video: Judge punches public defender at hearing
Judge John C. Murphy and assistant public defender Andrew Weinstock got involved in an aggravated exchange of words Monday when the confrontation got physical
By PoliceOne Staff
VIERA, Fla. — Police are investigating a fight that broke out in a Florida courtroom between a judge and a public defender that was caught on security video.
Florida Today reports Judge John C. Murphy and assistant public defender Andrew Weinstock got involved in an aggravated exchange of words Monday when the confrontation got physical.
As heard in the video, Murphy challenges Weinstock to “go out back” to fight. One of the men can be heard saying, "I'm not kidding. You wanna f*** with me?"
The two leave the courtroom and the scuffle can be heard on audio.
Weinstock was punched in the head by Murphy, according to the report.
A sheriff’s deputy broke up the fight, but no arrests were made, WKMG reported.
Police are currently investigating the incident and gathering statements from both parties.
Both men could face discipline for the incident, but have not pressed charges.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber
- Video: Ind. trooper informs drivers about 'pretty incredible' turn signal
- Del. officer, police cadet killed in off-duty crash